Thursday, October 23, 2008

Buddhist Workshop at the WAG and Reetbot

So, after waking up late and therefore missing my first class of the day (New Media Design, basically, a class about flash animator), I felt guilty about not being able to call my ride to tell them not to pick me up from the University and ventured over to the Winnipeg Art Gallery for our date with a Buddhist monk.
I kind of neglected the details of why exactly there was all these Buddhist events going on at the WAG as of late, but I do know that a handful of my classmates had been there since the morning doing meditation and that there is going to be a retreat this weekend. Today what we we did was basically hang around with this monk while he made a sand mandala, apparently one of few (if any) ceremonies that have ever taken place in this city; Kevin, our prof, claimed it was a once in a lifetime chance, and that we'd probably never get to see it again.
I'll admitt that I downed a giant coffee on the walk over expecting to have trouble staying awake, but fortunately this monk was VERY personable; urged us to come closer, gave awesome explanations for his work, answered all our questions (no matter how vague) and even let us try it out! So of course I had to take some pictures, because Kevin is right, I probably never will get another chance to work on a sand mandala with a real monk again in my life.













ALSO! Tonight was Danny's aka Reetbot's opening at the Cre8ry. It was awesome, I'm insanely jealous, it made me want to quit my day job so I could just paint all the time. He definately has a thing going on... millions of little paintings and using all different types of things to work on; canvas, wood, paint can lids, cassette types, records. I definately bought a painting, I'm excited to pick it up.

6 comments:

aggiecore1984 said...

Hey Kara, if you were interested in doing a show I would love to help you out. Let me know!

Kara said...

Oh totally! Especially since you looked so cute and excited being the host of Danny's show haha.
I'm shooting to start planning after christmas, I've been working hard and I think I'll be ready by then.
I'm totally new to planning a show by myself so I'm sure I'll come up with a million questions.

aggiecore1984 said...

Well, let me just say this. DONT BE YOUR OWN ARTIST AND PLANNER. You'll make yourself sick. I can plan the show for you and that way all you have to worry about is art haha. Secondly, when would you be aiming to actually have the show by? because cre8ery is booked up through 2009, the fact that we got squeeked into a one week spot is because someone else canceled!! We had ONE MONTH to put together the whole show (which is why it was so stressful for the both of us). But you let me know the details of your ideas and I can help you start planning and organizing and making up proposals and whatnot.

Kara said...

geez they book fast! last time i asked they said they had an opening in july.. that was about a month or so ago, they offered to put me on a list for cancellations but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not.
i guess i would like to shoot for after january but before april/may-ish.. if that doesn't end up to be doable I guess something more like the summer time. Basically either before people go crazy with school shit or after (myself included!)

aggiecore1984 said...

lets get together and talk sometime soon. do you still have my number? im taking a 2 month break (to finally get my apartment life settled and christmas done) but if you wanted to shoot for january i could at least help you get some stuff in line.

Kara said...

for sure! i'd also like to talk to you about screen printing, i've been meaning to attempt making stuff.. but I guess I get scared of spending money on new things haha.
your number is still in my phone, do you have mine?
i actually only work 3 days a week right now, so I just spend a lot of time in my appartment making art, let me know when you're free!