Thursday, October 16, 2008

currently at the aceart gallery


About a week ago I went to the aceart gallery in the exchange to see Amy Wong's Everything is Everything and I loved it so much I had to go back the other day to see it again.

She produces my favorite kind of art; just taking bits and pieces of what you want, who cares what others think is aesthetically nice to view, and put it all together. Collage, paint, varnish, stamps, everything. It's full of contradictions; deep and personal vs fun and playful, strong technique vs chaos, etc.
I think a lot of young artists could benefit from looking closely at how Amy executes her work. You don't have to be rich and have amazing resources to be a talented artist. She uses paper with collaged garbage, unstretched canvas, and seemingly whatever she can find to paint with.
I'll definitely be taking a third look at her work on Saturday (maybe I'll snap pictures this time with something other then my cellphone) when I go back to aceart to attend Dearraindrop for Send and Receive. We had a lecture with them last night, man am I excited for that!
Anyways, Amy's work will be up until November 14th, and I urge you to go see it. She was born in Toronto and went to school in Montreal, support your fellow Canadians!

Here is her current blog:

No comments: